Granola is such an easy and delicious breakfast choice. However, often shop bought versions can have a bit more extra sugar that is really required especially for your first meal of the day. Combining buckwheat flakes, oats, seeds and nuts, our recipe will pack a punch in taste and nutrition!
Makes approximately 500g of granola which should last 1-2 weeks for 2 people
Double the quantities below if you want to make a 1kg batch
Note. Measuring the ingredients using cups is easier as you can just scoop the ingredients out and straight into the mixing bowl!
1 1/2 cups | 150g raw buckwheat flakes
1 1/2 cups | 150g rolled oats
1 cup | 50g of raw coconut chips
3/4 cup | 75g mixed nuts or nuts of your choice
handful of pumpkin seeds
handful of pine nuts
2 tbsp of chia seeds
1/2 cup |125ml of honey | maple syrup or other liquid sweetener
2 tbsp coconut sugar or unrefined sugar
1/4 cup | 60ml of either olive oil | coconut oil | avocado oil
2 tbsp peanut butter or other nut butter of your choice
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 tsp sea salt
1. Heat the oven to 150-160 C. Prepare a non stick baking tray or big ceramic dish.
2. Take a mixing bowl and measure and add to it the buckwheat flakes, oats, mixed nuts, pine nuts, coconut flakes, chia seeds, pumpkin seeds, coconut sugar, sea salt and spices. Stir to combine.
3. Now take a small pan and put on medium-low heat and add the liquid ingredients - the oil and the liquid sweetener eg. honey and stir until melted and combined. Take off the heat and stir in the peanut or other nut butter.
5. Pour the liquid mixture over the dry ingredients and mix until fully coated.
6. Tip the mixture onto the baking tray or ceramic dish and spread. Bake for 25-30 minutes until golden and toasted, giving it all a stir half way.
7. Take out of the oven and allow to cool fully, then place in an airtight jar or Tupperware and keep in a cool, dry place for 2-3 weeks.