These sweet, light and fluffy crêpes are the best! The recipe is by Françoise Bernard, a famous chef in France who wrote many cookbooks. Kind of like the Delia of French Cuisine. Hope you enjoy and don't forget to serve the classic lemon & sugar pancake.
for 4 people | If you're making for two people, halve the ingredients
250g plain flour
1/2 teaspoon of fine seasalt
2 tablespoons of oil or melted butter
1/2 litre of milk
or for a lighter batter -
1/4 litre of milk + 1/4 litre of water
2 tablespoons of sugar
1/2 teaspoon of vanilla essence
A splash of rum
1. Place the flour in a bowl and make a well. Add the eggs and start to whisk in the flour. At the same time, start to add the milk (or milk & water) little by little. You can use an electric whisk for this if you would like, just be mindful not to over-whisk the batter.
2. Next, add the oil or butter, vanilla, sugar & rum. Let the batter rest for 30 minutes - 1 hour.
3. Heat a shallow frying pan on a high heat (nonstick pancake pan is best) with a bit of butter. Prepare to reapply butter in between pancakes when the pan starts to look a bit dry.
4. Using a ladle, put a spooful of batter on the hot pan and swirl the pan until the batter is covering the whole base. Cook for 1 minute until bubbles appear on the top & it is glossy and flip. Cook for another minute and it's ready!
5. Serve with sugar & lemon, Nutella & banana or jam & peanut butter.